Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Little Help From a Pro

With the massive volume of Ironman training, some aches, pains, pinches, blisters, soreness are to be expected. However, during the past two weeks I experienced a terrible knee pain under my left knee cap.

The pain was only in my left knee, it always followed long bike ride, and the right knee was unaffected. It was literally sore to the touch for a few days after each long ride.

It was frustrating because I knew I had the capacity for much more output on the bike but was limited by my knee pain.

Unable to determine the specific cause or correct the problem, I turned to Coach Phillip Casanta for help. Phil coaches for Hyper Cat Racing and has pretty much seen it all.

Coach Phil quickly diagnosed the cause - a worn and rigid cleat on my left race shoe. Apparently, this caused my left knee to track in one position rather than allowing my knee to float naturally through the pedal stroke. He assured me the injury was temporary, adjusted my cleats, shared a few bike tips, and in 20 minutes I was out the door and ready to ride. I’m hopeful that my next long ride will be better.

Thanks Coach!!!