Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Upcoming Swim - The Golden Gate


I’ve wanted to swim the span of the Golden Gate Bridge for over two years. If all goes well, I’ll finally get my chance next month. I’ll start at the South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge and swim under the bridge mid-span to Finger Point Rock in Marin. The shortest distance, between these two points is 3 Km (1.85 miles). I’ll make the attempt without a wetsuit. Click on this map to see my swim route.

It is a bit unnerving swimming at the opening of the bay. It is impossible to ignore that the Farallon Islands are a mere 27 miles away from the Golden Gate. Again, I'm told there is no credible shark threat in San Francisco Bay. . . but there aren’t supposed to be whales or dolphins in the bay either and I’ve seen those. I digress.

I love the idea of a point to point, open water swim, under the Golden Gate. I’ve been waiting a long time for this one and it is almost here.

Training continues. . .