Monday, June 1, 2009

Summer Century – Day One



There was a lot of activity at the ole Dolphin Club this morning as it was the first day of the Summer Century. By the way, I coined the term “Summer Century” in the sauna this morning - most folks just call it the 100 mile swim. Anyway, the goal is to swim 100 miles in 5 months (June 1st – October 31st).

I’ve never attempted the Summer Century (yeah, I like the sound of that better). It is more than double the Polar Bear distance in less than twice the time. You basically have to log 5 miles every week for 20 weeks. Only a dozen or so swimmers at the DC actually complete this goal in any given year. Most hit a sub-100 mile mark on October 31st, say 70 miles, and try to better it the next year. However, my good friend Nobu has completed the Summer Century for two consecutive years now. He is attempting his third this year and is my inspiration for giving it a try.

This morning was mile one – 99 miles to go.