Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Almost Solo Return to the Bay


Surprisingly, local water tests yielded a ‘good’ rating and the beaches of San Francisco were reopened yesterday. Of course, the good folks at the Dolphin Club hit the waters before the announcement was made. The swim report from the Monday morning swim was good by all accounts. All except Ted whose comment was more philosophical than informative, he reported, “it was too cold to think about the sewage.”

I, on the other hand, stayed in my warm bed while the waters were tested Monday morning by those brave souls and waited for the official reopening (Monday night) before I made my return to the water this morning. . .

The club was completely empty when I arrived at 5:50. Swimming alone in 47 degree water while it is dark is not to be taken lightly. The plan was a fast .5 mile conservative beach swim. I admit I was having second thoughts.

I was in the midst of psyching myself up for the plunge when in walked another 6-amer, Jason. What a relief. My whole morning changed. We went a full mile and enjoyed the whole experience. Thanks Jason!

So, the bay passed the ‘smell-test’ and I’m now a bit embarrassed about whining about not being able to swim last week. In my defense, based on the previous spill, I fully expected to be out of the water for at least a month. I’m glad I was wrong.