Wednesday, March 19, 2008

40 MILES! POLAR BEAR COMPLETED!


A common misconception about bay swimming is that it is easier to enter cold water if you are an experienced bay swimmer. It never gets any easier. This is especially true when you are swimming solo. Last night the sky was particularly ominous. Here is a photo I took just before heading down to the beach.

Wading into the biting cold water for a solo swim is strangely similar to what I felt the first time I skydived. Every cell in your body screams the act is unnatural. You feel excitement, the rush of adrenalin and fear.

The harsh winds caused major chop as I struggled to swim into the wind and across the beach. My plan was a 1-mile swim, setting the stage for mile 40 on Friday morning with my friends.

It isn’t productive, but when I swim alone all I think about is sharks. To busy my mind, I recounted as many Polar Bear swim experiences as I could – laying out my clothes each night, seal encounters, sunrises, shooting stars, cruise ships, my friends, frost, glow sticks, alarm clocks, my mom, my wife, my boys . . . 30 minutes later, I had covered my 1-mile course and was treading water in front of the Dolphin Club.

The exercise of recalling the Polar Bear season had stirred my emotions. As I turned to the desolate beach, I remember my wife saying, “If you are feeling it, go for 40!” I glanced once at the foreboding sky and once at my watch before tearing out into the bay again.

There was no fear or need for mind games during my final mile of the Polar Bear. It was an inspired and magical swim. A winter of hard work paid off in speed and power. It was my best effort. I was in my finest form and 28 minutes later, I had done it.

The second mile was not planned and neither was the emotional impact that followed. In retrospect, I’m glad I was alone. It wasn’t a very humble display. I raised my hands high above my head and cheered into the wind. I pumped my fists, clapped my hands and yelled again and again. My very own Rocky moment played out on a desolate San Francisco beach.

I did it! I did it! I did it!

p.s. – the gulls on the pier didn’t seem impressed.