Friday, March 7, 2008

A New Club Record!


History was made this week when Vince completed his 30th consecutive Polar Bear swim. 40 miles every winter for 30 years. His first Polar Bear season was 1978. What else happened in '78? Sony introduced a portable tape player called the "Walkman". The Deer Hunter should have won best picture, but didn't. And another guy named John became the Pope (what are the odds?). Those of us who swim with Vince knew he would make it, but the enormity of the the record is still setting in. Congrats Vince!!!

I swam a ton this week, logging every quarter mile. I started to feel like the Monster from the Black Lagoon - more at home in the water than on land. It took its toll and I crashed by before 9 pm a couple nights. This was definitely the hardest swimming week of the year for me. This was the week I earned my shot at finishing. That said, I had a beauty of a swim this morning and I feel like I'm on the home stretch. 8 miles to go!