Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jellyfish Dad! Jellyfish!

Last week Nobu and I did a rare daylight swim. It was a beauty of a day so the family came along too. In certain areas of the cove there were more jellyfish than usual. During our morning swims it is pitch black and you feel the jellies but never actually see them. I'm not aware of anyone ever being stung by a jellyfish in SF bay so I don't worry about it too much. As far as I can tell there are two species that we run into on a regular basis - call them the big ones and the smaller soft ones. I swam out and snagged a small one to show my little guys. They loved it! Here are some photos.


The kids started out in the crows nest of the Dolphin Club


The sun made it so cozy


The bay was a frigid 48 degrees, but it was a bit easier to get in during the daytime


Of course, the kids hit the beach as soon as we took off swimming


Two 'Phins heading home


Me and Nobu, slightly hypothermic but happy


Jellyfish Dad! Jellyfish!

(you probably need to click the photo to actually see the jellyfish)