Monday, March 26, 2007

Why no wetsuit?!?



In 2004, I read “Swimming to Antarctica” written by Lynne Cox. It is a wonderfully crafted autobiography of the most accomplished open water swimmer in the world. Michael Phelps, Mark Spitz, Ian Thorpe, these great Olympic gold medalists would likely run and hide rather than attempt some of the swims Lynne has completed. Her list accomplishments and world record swims are too numerous to list here so I’ve added a link below if you are interested. The book is an absolute gem.

I was so moved by Lynne’s writing that I signed up for the Alcatraz Invitational in the no-wetsuit division, mid-read and before ever swimming in the bay without a wetsuit. In fact, I tapped my inspiration from reading Swimming to Antarctica again and again as I dealt with the everyday challenges of being a new father and a professional (Lynne's book is about more than swimming).

When the boat left for Alcatraz on the morning of the 2004 swim, I had second thoughts of leaving shore without a wetsuit – it was a big commitment. I recalled Lynne’s swim in Antarctica and how she must have felt in waters 20 degrees colder than San Francisco bay. During the swim, I recalled her description of the final push to shore when she crossed the English Channel at age 15. When I reached the shore, I imagined Lynne stepping onto Soviet soil after swimming the Bering Strait. For those who have read the book, I imagined receiving a handmade Soviet scarf rather than a finishers medal when I completed the swim.

After the swim, I dried off, met my family and started the slow warming process. The atmosphere on the beach was like a 4th of July picnic. The old interior of the South End Rowing Club was empty and quiet. My wife pulled me inside the look out room of the club and said, “There is someone inside I’d like you to meet.” To my surprise, sitting alone at a table was Lynne Cox.

I was still shivering and unexpectedly shy, so my wife did the talking. “You are the reason he swam today, it was his first no-wetsuit swim. He loved your book”, she said. Lynne spoke with us for a few minutes, signed an autograph and stood with us for this picture. It was the coolest!



More on Lynne Cox

Read "Swimming to Antarctica", you’ll love it!
Here are a few reviews I found on the web:

"It would be a mistake to think that Cox's new autobiography is of interest only to swimmers. In fact, the book has more in common with heroic literature of the ancient world--like Beowulf and The Odyssey--than the typical athlete's success story. Her story is a powerful account of clinging hard to a bigger dream."

"Cox's story flows seamlessly to a Rocky-like crescendo as she shares details of her sheer will and daring. This is one spectacular book about one remarkable life. Read it and you will never look at swimming the same way again."

"An engagingly gripping read, an often engrossing tale of an extreme, otherworldly existence. It is this stunning force of will--this relentless dance along the thin line between brave and crazy--that makes Swimming so fascinating."