Monday, January 14, 2008

The REAL Polar Bear

Vince Huang is the rock of our 6 a.m. swims. In the year I’ve been at the club, I think he has only missed one morning swim. I remember wondering if the Golden Gate had fallen when he didn’t show up. Then I thought, no, he would have just swam over for our morning work out.

If Vince completes the Polar Bear 2008 (which I am sure he will), he will have the Dolphin Club record of 30 years of consecutive successful Polar Bear swims! I am in complete awe of that number. One Polar Bear year is no easy feat!


I’ve done the math and I’m pretty sure he is older than me. But since he is always leading the way on our epic and fast paced morning swims, I figure he can’t be much older than me. It isn’t possible right? I’m 36 and feel like I’m slowing down a bit. So, he can’t be north of 40, could he? You be the judge, here is a picture from our swim on Friday 1/11/08.

Good luck Vince! We are all pulling for you. Thanks for showing up every morning and leading the way!

Post script – I recently learned Vince was once the Dolphin Club swim commissioner. At that time the Polar Bear competition only required 25 miles. Vince’s last act as swim commissioner was to up the miles from 25 to 40. I guess 25 miles in 48 degree water just wasn’t enough (I’m on mile 5.75). If I were swim commissioner I might opt for something more simple, like this.