Thursday, May 10, 2007

Inspiring film clips


Training continues and I snatch up inspiration wherever I can find it to stay on task. Last night I went to see 'Agua' at the SF International Film Festival. I really enjoyed 'Agua' and was glad to have seen it on a big screen. It captured the feeling of long distance swimming and was beautifully shot. I don't know if non-swimmers would appreciate all the swimming sequences as much.

If I were to recommend a swim related film, I would still first recommend 'On a Clear Day'.

Here are two of my favorite inspirational You Tube clips. The first features Ted Ericksen's swim from the Farallon Island to San Francisco. It is authentic and his records still stands. I'm not sure anyone else has done it. The narration and music is so quaint, it feels like you are watching it with his family at his home after a meal. Listen for his mention of the Dolphin Club near the end.

The second may move you to tears and is my favorite training story of all time. It is the story of Dick and Ricky Hoyt and their Ironman Championship race. TRY THIS - write down something you've always wanted to attempt. Then jot down the reasons why you can't. Then watch this film clip.

Above is a picture of my 5 year old at his first triathlon. He is my inspiration.