Monday, May 21, 2007

Rest Weekend and Nobu on Ice!


As part of my race preparation, I stayed out of the water this weekend. It was a nice physical and mental break from swimming. It was my wife’s birthday on Saturday so we stole away and stayed at the Claremont. Lisa completely understood why I lazily floated on a kick board while she cranked out 36 laps for her 36th birthday.

This morning I was back in the bay with the usual crew at 6 am. When I arrived at the club I noticed Nobu sitting in his car clutching a coffee thermos and looking uncharacteristically serious.

After a quick change we met in the club house to discuss our route. To everyone’s surprise Nobu was not wearing a wetsuit. It was to be his first no wetsuit swim. I told him the mantra for entering the cold water without a wetsuit, “I know how to breath, I know how to swim, I know how to breath, I know how to swim.”

After 20 minutes of swimming, the effects of the cold were visible in Nobu’s stroke. He slowed considerably had become a confused as to the route. Rebecca and I decided to swim with Nobu directly back to the club while the others continued swimming.

When we finally reached the beach Nobu was all smiles. However, he had become so cold he was unable to walk into the club unassisted. I kept a firm grab on his arm as we climbed back into the club. After a shower and sauna, he continued to shake and shiver. He later commented that he had no recollection of the time that passed from the beach to the shower.

I think Nobu had Stage 2 hypothermia. The swim might have been a bit too long for his first swim without a wetsuit. The attempt alone was impressive. I hope he gives it another shot. It was a stark reminder, however, of the dangers of swimming in cold water. Judgment, stroke and stamina are all vulnerable to the cold.


Here is picture of Nobu on the day we joined the Dolphin Club.

5 days to go until the Swim Around Alcatraz!

"Does Nobu really exist?"
See Dave's comments. . .