Sunday, January 20, 2008

Midwinter Gashouse Swim


My alarm rung at out 5 a.m. this morning. A quick change of clothes and I hit the road, bound for the Dolphin Club. Hmmm, no traffic at all today. . . ah yes, its Sunday.

Today was an organized, out of cove, swim staged by the Dolphin Club. It is called the Midwinter Gashouse, I think, because there is a boat refueling station near the pier where we jumped in. It was a water start, members only, 1-mile swim back to the club. Here is a poorly lit photo of the 6 a.m. briefing at the club.

Some of the 6 a.m.'ers were there. It was nice to see Nobu, Jason and Rebecca.

Thoughts on jumping vs. wading into 47 degree water. . . I don't know which is worse. I think I actually prefer jumping. I may try this next week during my regular swims. It is brutal, but quick.

I completed the swim in just under 24 minutes and placed 6th. Congrats to Jason, he placed 4th, behind three English Channel Swimmers! Also, today was Nobu's first no wetsuit, out of cove swim! What a great event! Huge thanks to all the helpers and pilots! Thanks for keeping us all safe.