Friday, January 11, 2008

Rebecca in the Water and Unresponsive!



As usual, it was dark and cold when we started our swim just after six a.m. this morning. It was a large group - Nobu, John, Jason, Rebecca, Vince, Tom and myself. I brought my camera down to the pier, took a few quick photos of our swim start, stowed my camera and swam fast to catch up with the group.

I felt great this morning, better than I have all winter. I felt strong, graceful and in full control. About mid way through our swim I noticed Nobu had fallen back a bit. I waited to be sure he was doing alright. As he surfaced, he had a huge grin on his face and his words were slurred. He looked like he was laughing. Hypothermia? Later in the warmth of the sauna, he told me what happened, it went something like this. . .
Nobu - "I was swimming back toward the beach. Right? So, I knew Rebecca was right in front of me, so I just followed her in. About 50 yards from the beach I saw Rebecca had stopped swimming. I thought something was wrong so I swam up next to her to see what was happening.

"Why have you stopped?" No reply from Rebecca.

"Rebecca?" No reply.

"Rebecca!?!" No reply.

"Rebbbeeeeccaaaaa!"

Then I realized it wasn't Rebecca. I was talking to a round swim bouy. It was so dark, I got confused."

I completely lost it when he told me about his conversation with the bouy. Click on the photo of Nobu above and you can see the darling round bouy off to the left. That is the one Nobu was yelling at. Hillarious! I'll post the pics I took this morning soon.