Saturday, April 28, 2007

'05 Alcatraz Invitational (Lisa's First Swim)


On the day Lance Armstrong won his last Tour De France, I had a bike accident and broke my right wrist. Ironic and painful. When I fell, my plans for Ironman Florida and the 2005 Alcatraz Invitational came down with me. My good friends and training partners Doug Cameron and Dave Landa went on to finish IM Florida and my wife, Lisa, completed her first Alcatraz Invitational.

Lisa signed up for the race with the condition that I swim next to her the entire distance. I think it would have been easy for her to pull out of the race when I got injured. Instead, she went it alone and unknowingly completed a swim of historical significance. It was the first time a dog swam Alcatraz! If you look closely at the attached press photo you can see me on the right with by big 'ole cast and my son Brant wearing my vest down to his ankles as we waited for Lisa to arrive. You can't help but worry a tad while waiting for a loved one during an event like Alcatraz. I was so proud and relieved to see her finally appear on the beach. She looked so beautiful.

Lisa and I will swim Alcatraz together this year on 9/15/2007 and the list of swimmers is growing. Cary (Lisa's brother) and Nobu are also joining us as well. Anyone else interested? I'd be happy to help with a training plan and I have a spare wetsuit to share. Give it some thought. Look how happy Lisa was!

Uncle Bob? Pops? Brad? Doug? Dave? Bob? Brian? Werts? Bueller?