Friday, April 27, 2007

Fantastic bay swim this morning! (Training Plan)


The seal lion must have overslept this morning. Everyone at the club seemed to be at ease. The sunrise was beautiful and the bay was calm with a slight flood tide. I felt stronger this morning than I have all season. I considered staying in and trying for the 100 minute mark but opted to get out feeling strong and still warm after a 45 minute swim.

Four weeks remain before the big swim. The last week will be a light taper week to rest up for the race. So, basically there are three solid weeks of training remaining.

The plan for each week is: 2 x 1 hour masters swims, 3 x 40 minute bay swims and 1 long bay swim. Masters swims help me improve my technique and gain speed. Frequent, short bay swims help improve my conditioning to the cold. The most important swim each week is the long swim.

My goals for the long swims are: 90 min. (4/28), 100 min. (5/5), 110 min. (5/12) and back down to 45 min. (5/19). I'm kind of making this up as I go along so it helps me to post my training plan.

The picture above is from last year's event. I'm not the swimmer in the picture. I think the picture is cool because it gives you a sense of what it looks like out there on the way back from Alcatraz. Have a great weekend!