Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Signs, signs, everywhere signs


"And the sign said, 'long hair freaky people need not apply'" - The Five Man Electrical Band ('72) Actually, that isn't what this sign said. I just had that song running through my head all day. Click on the image to see what the sign at the Dolphin Club really says.

Nobu and I joined the Dolphin Club tonight. We attended the monthly board meeting and were surprised at the turn out. It was an unlikely band of like-minded folks. The room was split evenly between those interested in swimming and those interested in rowing. As I listened to each of the 11 new members introduce themselves, it was apparent that each shared a love of the sea and San Francisco.

I introduced myself as a friend of Jon Nakamura who swims with the crew at 6 am. The reaction in the room was a bit of a surprise. I surmised that, even among the membership of the Dolphin Club, the 6 am swimmers are viewed as a bit crazy.

The president of the club described swimming in the bay as a "spiritual experience." Another said he felt reborn after each swim. An older fellow, drinking a martini in front of a remarkable view of the sun setting on the Golden Gate, simply said "its f*#@n cold." I'd say they all hit the mark.

At the close of the meeting we got a tour of the club. I learned that the club has a full kitchen and a boat building shop. I also realized it was the first time I had seen the Dolphin Club beach in daylight. Here are a couple of pictures I took. In the background of the first picture you can see the "Cathyer" that I described in an earlier post. The second picture is Aquatic Park and the Golden Gate. Click on these images, they are really nice!