Monday, April 9, 2007

Happy Easter!


The last qualifying swim for the Swim Around the Rock was held yesterday (Easter Sunday). Maybe the race organizers were kind enough to hide a few brightly colored eggs in the sand, but I doubt it. I took a break from swimming this weekend, relaxed and enjoyed spending time with my family. It was a treat to sleep in, watch the boys hunt for Easter eggs and stuff myself with honey baked ham.

This morning I was back in the bay with members of the Dolphin Club at 6 am. After the swim, several of the members encouraged me to attend the once a month board meeting and apply for full membership. I suppose insanity loves company.

It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to join. I'm not sure getting up at 4:45 is sustainable. The Swim Around the Rock is only 6 weeks away and the minimum club commitment is 6 months. To be completely honest, my thoughts getting into the bay this morning were “this is crazy, just get through this, these guys are crazy, only 6 more weeks to the race and you never have to get in without a wetsuit again.”

However, upon completing the swim my perspective had completely changed. The sunrise was beautiful, my arms felt heavy and the water felt wonderful as I quietly shared space with new friends, floating in the surf, waiting for the last swimmer to make it back to shore. It just felt right to me. After reflecting on the morning, I am left wondering how participating in this event might impact my life after the swim is over. After all, Jon has been swimming with the club for 20 years.